Thursday, October 31, 2013

Tongariro National Park

On Monday (Labour Day), it was brilliantly sunny in Whanganui, and the forecast for Tongariro was rainy in the morning, but 0% chance of rain after 1:00pm, so we decided to head out after lunch. It is 120 km (74mi) away, and Google Maps said it would take about an hour and a half. Well, it turns out that if you're willing to drive 100kph (62mph) on narrow, curvy roads that might make a U-turn or slant dangerously towards a cliff at any moment, it would probably take you an hour and a half. We are not, so it took us well over two hours to get there.

Fortunately, I didn't mind how long it took at all, because we were driving through such beautiful countryside! You will probably be sick of my pictures of beautiful green hills before too long, but I'm going to keep posting them anyway, because I can't get enough of them. Also, on this particular trip, the clouds and the sky were stunning, so you get to see a bit of them as well.




This particular picture reminds me of something, but I can't quite recall what it is. I just love the single tree on the ridge, especially with the gorgeous roundness of this particular tree.


That's it for countryside pictures for now, but don't worry - there will be more!

After over two hours on our roller-coaster of a drive, we came to the mountain!! Lovely, isn't it? Well, as it turns out, this particular mountain was Mount Doom in Lord of the Rings. I don't find it very Mount Doom-y with the snow all over it, but it's still cool. We are going to go back in the summer, so we'll see what it's like then.

We got out to go for a hike before it started raining again (0% chance or not, it sure seemed ready to pour). The trail started out like this...

... but very quickly became this. It was amazing how quickly the vegetation changed, especially having been so used to bright green!

And then we came out of the wooded area to see this! Beautiful, hey? I love how it is all "earth tones" and yet there are so many different colours!



This is me at the end of the trail surveying the area. Notice that I had to hold on to my hat - it was nothing if not windy up there!

This is a very cool carving at the visitor's centre, which we found right after totally giving up that we would ever find it. The eyes of the people are made out of Paua (abalone). A lot of artwork here has that in it, and it has lovely blues and greens in it, and it very iridescent. Unfortunately, all you can see in these ones is the glare, but they really were pretty.

Next, we got back in the car and headed out to another hike that we wanted to do, at which point the weather forgot about it's 0% chance of rain promise, and decided to pummel us with rain and wind. After waiting a bit for it to let up, during which time it intensified, we decided to head home.

On the way out, I noticed that even though it was raining were we were, the sun was shining on the mountain, light it up through the clouds. As always, the picture does not do justice to how cool it was!

As promised, more pictures of the beautiful scenery on the way home! And actually, we picked up two hitchhikers in Tongariro, so we had company all the way back to Whanganui. It was an American man and a German woman, both of whom were on Work-Holiday Visas, which are just for a year, but you can travel around NZ and work as you want. They were hitchhiking to Wellington to catch the ferry down to Picton and then explore the South Island. They were very nice, and it was fun to meet them.


We got out and took some pictures at a few particularly beautiful places, and this was my favourite, so I got a picture of J here.


A quick update: After writing my rant on Tuesday, I spent a lot of the day, as well as some of Wednesday, emailing and calling people trying to get things moving. I convinced the lady at the NZQA to accept the paperwork I'd already given her, so I am expecting to get my results in the mail very soon, and the Criminal Record Check people said that right now it's only taking about two weeks for Checks to get done, so that's not too bad at all. I still feel that things should have been handled better from the beginning, but I also think that it all worked out okay, and I am thankful for that.



12 comments:

  1. your pictures are stupendously beautiful.forget work ,keep hiking.
    I'm also struck by the lack of people ,buildings,or even sheep.
    Dean D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them. I thought they were stunning as well. And yes, it was quite a solitary drive. There were lots of sheep, though - I guess I just didn't get them in the pictures this time.

      Delete
  2. I think I saw that exact same solitary tree on the hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you did - you notice interesting things like that. :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos. You are living in a lovely part of the world! - Kathy Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your photos--brings back memories. Yes, NZ is really green; the downside of that is all the rain... Was that trail the Tongariro Track? That is the famous trail across the range. It was completely snowbound in July when we were there so that wasn't an option but I would have loved to do it. All we could do was drive by the east side of the park on the "desert road," the only place in NZ remotely resembling a desert, but the tall mtns, catch the rain on the west side so it actually it drier. Richard Harris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard,

      We did the Ridge Walking Track, which only took about 45 minutes. I think you're thinking of The Tongariro Alpine Crossing, which is one of the highest rated hikes in NZ. We were told that it is better to do that in summer, and it takes 6 - 8 hours, so there was no way we had time for it this trip. We are going to go back in December or January and do it - I can't wait!

      It is funny to me how much it did resemble a desert - I don't think of mountains as desert-like, but I guess that's because the Rockies and the Alps aren't, and those are the only mountains I've seen.

      Delete
    2. Please keep me in mind if / when you do the Tongariro Alpine Crossing as I would love to join J and you if I may. Have been planning on doing that, but probably best not attempted solo.

      Delete
    3. No problem, Lionel. We'll see when it fits into our schedule and the weather seems good. :)

      Delete
  5. Emma, I'm following your blog - often an interesting start or end to my day.
    The scenery is fabulous. Sorry to hear of the paperwork nightmare - not the way I'd want to learn more patience. :) Jean Krahn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, I'm so glad that you're reading it! It's so nice to feel connected to people at home. The paperwork thing is really just reminding me that I have no patience, but I guess I haven't completely melted down yet, so I'll count that as progress. :)

      Delete