Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Productivity Feels Good - On a Bike

Our boxes that Dad very kindly mailed us from Kansas arrived yesterday. All but one of them will remain boxed until we move into our house, with the exception being my BIKE! I was so very excited that it came, I got it unpacked and reassembled right away, and then rode around, just for fun. Today, I had plans to spend the morning in a preschool, then I had about a million errands to run in the afternoon. I was thrilled to realize that I could leave at 8:20 instead of 8:00 to get to preschool for my 8:30 appointment, and even more thrilled when I left at lunch time, feeling famished, and only had to make it through the seven minute bike ride home before I could eat. The long walks back after forgetting to pack a lunch have been rough, and it was great to avoid that problem.

So, after a lovely morning playing outside with the kids, and a lovely lunch back at the hotel, I was amazed to find that I ran all my errands and got back to the hotel in about the time it would have taken just to walk to my furthest errand. Biking is the best invention ever! And these weeks of no bike and no car while J is at work, especially given that they have been very errand-heavy weeks, have made me realize that more than ever! Hooray for bikes!

Also, I feel that I should throw a “Hooray” my own way as well, because I definitely put together my whole bike, all by myself! Dad helped me to take it apart, and I was concerned that I would not be able to reassemble it without him, but I did! By the way, thanks to Dad for making me write ‘R’ and ‘L’ on the pedals, despite my assurances that I would remember. J So “Hooray” for Dad as well!


A note: Turns out, biking is also affected by driving on the left side of the road. Who knew? I am finding it easy to remember to ride on the left side, but not at all easy to predict where cars will come from, which is risky on a bike. I know that I just need practice, but I feel quite vulnerable, and I’m sure that I am looking like a crazy person, because I feel the need to crane my neck in all directions at once, in order to make sure I know where the cars are. Good thing I'm used to looking like a crazy person.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy here. That is awesome that you have transportation and more impressive that you put it together yourself! Now be very careful when riding around on the wrong side of the road!

    ReplyDelete