Friday, October 4, 2013

"Green" and "Sheep"

If you asked me to describe the NZ countryside, as much as I have seen of it so far, I would sum it up in "green" and "sheep." The grass is startlingly green, thick, and lush, and it is uncommon to see anything other than the road that is not covered in it. Everywhere you look, there is green, green, green! You have probably heard that there are more sheep that people in NZ. It's true. And after just a few minutes out in the country, I could see why. There are sheep in the fields, out of the fields, in yards, by the road... everywhere. Munching on the green grass, and looking very picturesque. 

In order to illustrate this point, I have posted some pictures that I took out the window last weekend, on the way to Manawatu Gorge. Please excuse the water spots on some of them - it was raining on and off the whole day, and so the car windows were wet. I will not win any awards for photography, but hopefully it won't detract too much from the beauty of the landscapes here.

What is uncommon about this picture is not that there are sheep in the field and by the roads, but that there seems to be a field that is NOT for sheep!

I know this one has terrible water spots, but I love it because you can see the tiny baby lambs!

No sheep in this one, but aren't the rolling hills lovely?

I should not forget to mention that there are quite a lot of cows in this part of the country as well. Not many compared to the sheep, but quite a lot.




5 comments:

  1. beautiful! Where J works, is it for cows? Just to let you know, I rush home daily so I can read your blog. This week, I have worked till 9 pm or later every night! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Scotland with more trees. You will have to go visit 'Hobbiton'; it is near Matamata, but I can't tell how far that is from you. When I was in NZ (for all of 4 days some years ago) it was March and Autumn and things were brown around the edges--but it was not raining. Something for you to look forward to!

    Here in Manhattan we got 6cm of rain in 1 hour Thursday morning. Now the grass wants mowing. So it is green here too, sans sheep. Is lamb a common meat in shops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are planning to visit Hobbiton on one of our first trips out of Whanganui, once we are settled and can start in on those sorts of things. Hobbiton is a little less than 4 hours (drive) away from us, and fairly close to Hamilton, which is a relatively big city that we want to visit anyway. So we will definitely be heading that way soon.

      I didn't know that you'd been to NZ! That's great! It hasn't been too rainy since we've been here, and when it has rained, it's mostly been at night. How, however, it seems to be saving up all the rain for the weekends, which is a bit of a pity.

      Sheep is a very common meat here, in shops and restaurants. I don't eat it, and I don't think J's tried any yet, but I'm sure he will.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you're living on a beautiful postcard!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! It feel like I live on a postcard! I actually looked at postcards in a shop the other day, and it was so neat to see that they looked just like what I've seen!

      Delete