Saturday, November 2, 2013

This and That

After all this fuss about my application to the NZQA, they finished it on Wednesday, mailed it out on Thursday, and it was scheduled to be delivered by courier Friday morning! I was thrilled with this, because we are leaving for a week on Sunday (more about that later), and if it came while I was gone, it would just have to wait. Unfortunately, they said it would be delivered in the morning, so I waited at home all day, until I had to leave for an appointment at 3:00, and they came 15 minutes after I left! So all I got was a note saying that I would have to pick the envelope up downtown after 4:30. That meant that when I picked it up at 4:30, I had half an hour to make copies of the results, get the copies certified, repackage it with the other documents the NZ Teacher's Council needed, and then get it to the post office. Wonder of wonders, I DID IT!! Yay! I was very stressed out after the whole day of waiting and then the frantic rush at the end, but it is over now. I am hoping the the NZ Teacher's Council will be more reasonable than the NZQA was, and in any case, it is the last step towards registration, so that feels lovely. I am now working on taking deep breaths and letting go of the stress.

One thing that really helps me to do that, and that has become one of my favourite activities lately, is sitting outside in the sun to read. It is still quite chilly here in the mornings, but the sun is so strong! I can wear long sleeves and long pants, and put on my wonderful sun hat, so I don't have to worry about sunburn, and the sun beats down and warms me up, while the cool breeze keeps me from getting too hot. Combine that with a good book and a cup of chai, and it is deliciously close to perfection.

Another great stress reliever is going on walks, and Kirsten showed me a great place to do it today. We got a bit lost, which resulted in over a two hour walk through beautiful forests, with pleasant conversation the whole way, which was wonderful. Here are some pictures of where we were:






In other news, J has training in Wellington all next week, and his work doesn't mind if I share his hotel room, so we're off to Wellington! I am so excited to explore the city and see what adventures I can find. I'll post more information about Wellington itself next time. For now, J and I are going to an art show opening for a friend of Kirsten's who just graduated from art school. I think it will be a good time.

5 comments:

  1. emma'
    I love your ability to live in (and enjoy ) the present. Well done sister suffragette.
    Dean D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Harris In Wellington be sure to visit the Te Papa museum, the national museum. You will learn a lot about Maori culture and the history of NZ (The original Treaty of Waitangi is there!) and the stuff is displayed there very well. I took my family there just after they landed and were seriously jet-lagged but wanted to keep awake to try to get on the new schedule. I love it--not sure the rest of them were awake and rested enough... There are also great cafes in the area around the Empire (?) theater, site of the world premiere of the LOTR movies. Ride the tramway to the top near the university for great views. Wellington is fun but certainly does not have a big-city feel--smaller than Wichita. Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Richard,

    I will be going to Te Papa on Wednesday. I have heard from several locals that it is an absolutely fabulous place, and I'm so excited to go. I know I will learn so much, and I am eager to share it with my blog-readers afterwards. I can imagine how your family may not have absorbed it all, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it. I'm taking advantage of the sunshine for now, but it's supposed to rain Wednesday, so it will be a perfect museum day. I will have to look up the Empire Theatre and spend some time in a nice café during the rain as well. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't visited your site in a few weeks and am thrilled to hear of your experiences. I appreciate the wonder and joy you share in your writings and your thoughtful selections of what pics to share. I think you might consider writing a children's book about your experiences - the beauty of new and different things rather than the fear of them; how things are different yet the same at the core. Your sensitivity would shine through and make for a lovely story. Keep sharing! Mary D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary! I'm glad you had time to catch up, and that you're enjoying reading. I would love to write a book about all of these experiences, but it makes me nervous. I am both reverent of good children's book authors and harsh with ones I don't like, which means that dabbling in it myself would scare me a bit. :) I'll keep it in mind, though.

    ReplyDelete