Friday, October 18, 2013

Tēnā koutou!

I have finally started studying Māori, and I am so excited! The title of this post is how you say hello to three or more people, and I am quite proud that I know that. :)

I found a program online called Tōku Reo, which means "My Language." It includes videos that teach you vocab, grammar, and culture, as well as online activities and tests. I am also using a book called Teach Yourself Māori that my friend Richard Harris gave me before I left. (Thanks!!) It works really well to be able to hear it and get pronunciation online, but then to have the book to look up things that I'm confused about.

I think that Māori will be challenging to learn, for a variety of reasons. Here are the main three so far.

1) The sentence formation is very different than English and French. Both of those languages have a subject, verb, object order. But Māori has a verb, subject, object order, which is very different. In addition, verbs are not conjugated in Māori the way they are in English and French. There are words that show tenses, but the verb stays the time regardless of the subject or tense. All of these things are learnable, but for the moment, it makes me feel like I'm just stringing related words together, rather than putting them together into a meaningful sentence. I'll just have to learn a new way to understand sentences.

2) Unlike French or English, Māori pronunciation includes long vowels and short vowels, with the sound being exactly the same, and only the duration differing. I didn't think that this was a big deal when I first read it, but now it seems quite hard. Because I have never had to pay attention to sound lengths in language, I barely hear the difference between long and short vowels in Māori, and that is a problem in meanings of words. For example, 'keke' (two short 'e's) means 'cake,' but 'kēkē' (two long 'e's) means 'armpit.' I would like to have a healthy differentiation between these words, but when they say them both on TV, they sound the same to me. I will just have to practice, I guess.

3) There are lots of vowels in Māori words, and I sometimes find it hard to hear or pronounce them all. In fact, there are no consonant combinations in at all - each consonant is followed by one or more vowels, and all words end in a vowel. It makes the language very beautiful, in my opinion, but it also makes it hard to figure out where all those vowels go.

I am off to meet Kirsten for tea, but when I get back, I am going to tackle the next video and see what I can learn. :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh! So that is what the bars mean! I know they write 'kakapo' with bars over the vowels but when I have heard it spoken it did not sound like 'Kay-Kay-po', as I would expect from the usual English notation of a vowel with a line over it. I also thought in my European arrogance that Maori, being Polynesian, must be very simple in grammar and vocabulary. What do I know! I look forward to new lessons.

    Thanks for the news links and photos of the flood. Listening to the newscasters it was easy to hear the difference between Wh and just W--apparently the river is pronounced with the 'f' sound and the town with a 'W'? The pictures are quite reminiscent of Stagg Hill golf course in '93. Rivers do that, and humans keep trying to live too close to them anyway. Is it ok to pray for decent housing away from the floodplain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I was surprised by the pronunciation rules as well, and I keep needing to remind myself that even though it is written in the same alphabet as English, the languages have no common roots, so of course it's different.

      The river is always spelled with the 'wh,' while the city can still be spelled either way. I have heard the river said with the 'f' and with the 'w,' but the city is always with the 'w.' I realize that that's rather confusing. It seems that it is more PC to pronounce the river with the 'f' sound, in accordance with Māori custom, but that many people still don't.

      Delete
  2. Thank you both for your company over dinner this evening. And for my lovely gifts. As soon as I finish the novel that I have borrowed out of the laundry at the motel, I will be into "The Poisonwood Bible". Lionel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lionel. We had a nice time at dinner, despite unfavourable health. I am excited for you to read The Poisonwood Bible.

      Delete