Tuesday, October 29, 2013

I Hate Waiting

J and I did make it up to Tongariro National Park yesterday, and I will post pictures next time. Right now, however, beautiful pictures need to make way for a major rant.

My ability to start relieving for kindergartens and early learning centres is dependent upon my Criminal Record Check coming back from the Ministry of Justice. It is supposed to take 20 business days, so I faxed it in right away, way back in September. After 23 business days, I emailed them to see if there was a problem. It took them a while to write back, but they finally did this morning, with bad news. Apparently, their fax machine was "acting up" in September, and they never received my application at all. They suggested that I send it in now, so they can get started. So here I thought I was in the final days of that wait, and it turns out that I haven't even started. 20 business days is a long time.

In addition, my ability to get a permanent job as a teacher (and to get paid well as a reliever) depends on my evaluation from the NZ Qualifications Authority (NZQA). I received an email from them this morning, containing unpleasant news. Their evaluation is supposed to take no more than 35 business days (let's recall, that's already 7 whole weeks), but it has been 45 days already since I submitted it. They have provided all kinds of shady excuses for this, but I was inclined to be forgiving, because the lady who has been corresponding with my has been very nice and polite, and I know it's not her fault that the business overall is slow. On Friday, when I checked online, my application status had finally moved on to the second-to-last step, so I was optimistic. Then, the email this morning said that my letter of completion for my Master's Degree was not sufficient, and that they would need to get official confirmation directly from KSU. I find this extremely unfair, because I actually foresaw this problem and fixed it. Since I didn't have my actual diploma yet when I sent in my application, I emailed NZQA and asked them what I should do, and I was assured in no uncertain terms that a letter of completion from the Graduate Office would be sufficient. I went and got a very official-looking one, and got it notarized and everything. I thought I was going above and beyond, and now it's not enough. Even more upsetting, who knows how long it will take them to actually contact KSU and get the information back?

The icing on the cake is that when I went and checked the progress of my application, it has actually moved TWO STEPS BACKWARDS!

I am reaching the end of what I can do without a teaching license or a Criminal Record Check, and I have long ago passed the end of my tolerance for waiting on them. It makes me feel hopeless and useless, as well as powerless, since I can't even do anything to fix it. I just have to wait, and I am terrible at waiting.

On the bright side, I can make myself a cup of tea, escape into a good book, and try to pretend that paperwork doesn't exist.

11 comments:

  1. Oh sweetheart, I am so sorry it is taking so long. At least you have had experience with the different learning centers in your area. And the staff/children have already met you. You have your foot in the door at this point. Enjoy reading your books and talk J into a dog/cat to keep you company! Love you and thinking about you. Granny sends her best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I appreciate the sympathy, and it has been good going around and getting to know teachers and children. Say hi to Granny for me!

      Delete
  2. I am sorry that you feel like you have done everything to be obedient and thorough to the process,and yet there is little progress. bless you. Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dad. I just want things to work the way they are supposed to, but I'm trying to take a deep breath and remember that that's not really my choice.

      Delete
  3. Oh yeah, I should have told J to tell you that I have started "The Poisonwood Bible". So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would it work for you to contact KSU and ask the Registrar to send the necessary paperwork directly? It might cost you a little bit but might speed up the process. I'm sorry bureaucracy seems to exist everywhere! Dean or I could pay the Registrar directly if that is a problem. KSU seems eager to help alumni get themselves employed, from my vantage point here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed the Graduate School (they take care of this sort of thing for Graduate Degree - not the Registrar), and copied the lady from NZQA on the email, requesting that they provide her with confirmation about my degree. I have not heard back from either of them yet, but hopefully I will soon. It is so kind of you to offer to be the middle-woman and go and talk to them, but I am optimistic that I will be able to do it through email. I also gave the lady at NZQA a bit of a talking-to about how I was assured that the letter I provided would be sufficient, so I am holding out hope that she will decide to just accept it.

      Delete
  5. Remember Emma, the squeaky wheel gets the grease! Be polite and persistent so that they never get a chance to back burner you. I would recommend that you contact the university as well, to give someone there a heads up and find out exactly whom they need to contact to get your information, then provide that info directly to the Kiwis. I hope that's helpful. Happy Halloween!! - Kathy Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I have been nothing if not persistent, and I have almost always stayed polite. :) And I did contact my university, and copied NZQA on the email, so I basically forced the two of them to start a conversation. I don't know how it went from there, but my application is officially done, so something worked!! Yay!

      Happy Halloween to you, too!

      Delete