Thursday, September 19, 2013

Phone Numbers and Errands

Phone Numbers

Phone numbers here are different than in the States, which I expected, but there is also quite a lot of differences within NZ phone numbers, which I did not expect. All NZ numbers are written with spaces in between sections (not dashes or periods like other places). But there are different amounts of digits for different types of phone numbers. I don’t have it all figured out (by any means), but here is what I’ve seen so far:

Landlines have seven digits, written 123 1234.
Sometimes there is a two digit number in front of landline numbers, which I think (but don’t know) is an area code, which makes it 12 123 1234.
Cell phones have ten digits, written 123 123 1234.
What we would call 800 numbers, they call 0800 (oh eight hundred) numbers, have ten digits as well, but they are written 0800 123 123.
My cell phone number has eleven digits, written 1 123 123 1234. According to the few Kiwis I have given it to, this is odd, but not unheard of.

Forms that leave a certain number of spaces for phone numbers have exactly the right amount for landlines in the “home” space, and more in the “mobile” space, so you actually have to fill them in in the right spot.

Running Errands

I had a bit of a frustrating morning trying to get a bunch of business done. We found out from the AA Office (where we do Driver’s License stuff) that because our Canadian licenses and our most recent American licenses are less than two years old, we either needed to get proof of a longer driving history from the States, or take a driving test (which is apparently a big headache). So I called three different offices in Kansas before finding out that the only way to do it was online. I got my driving history easily enough. You apply and pay $6.60, and then you get a print out that says when you got your current license, your last renewal, and your first license. I think it would say if you’d done anything awful, but mine was clear, so I’m not sure. Anyway, I got mine, but wasn’t sure it was official enough, so I waited on paying $6.60 for J’s. I had to go to a printing store (Warehouse Stationary) to print it off, which was fine, because I also needed to print my CV and philosophy statement for potential jobs, an application for a NZ Criminal Check, and some copies of my passport.

I walked to the store and printed everything, then walked to the AA Office and got a thumbs up on the driving history. So I walked by to the motel, paid for and downloaded J’s, walked back to Warehouse Stationary, printed again, and then headed back to AA (they are used to me dropping in frequently, and have been so patient through figuring all this out). Now J and I just have to go back and get our eyesight checked and pictures taken, and we will be done with this step.

My next stop was a Maori school, where I was trying to enrol in Maori language courses. Unfortunately, I found out that you have to be a permanent resident or citizen to take the class (because it is free). When I asked if I could pay for it until I can apply for permanent residency, the lady said that I should check back at their next enrolment session in January and talk to one of the teachers, who might be willing to help me. I hate to wait until January, especially when there’s a good chance that I still won’t be able to enrol, but it’s worth a shot. The lady said that there weren’t any other places she knew of that offered beginner courses, so I guess this is my option.

I went by the grocery store on the way home. Good news – they DO have sliced turkey in NZ! Good thing I didn’t give up. J


All in all, I got a lot done, and it’s all good. I just feel like each time I think I’m almost done with things, another thing pops up. But we’re making progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment