Monday, September 30, 2013

New Zealand Flag



After watching the America’s Cup, I got interested in the NZ flag, which was on the NZ yacht. I haven’t seen it much around here – not like in Kansas, where many people have a flag displayed somewhere around their house. But I thought it would be nice to learn a bit about it, so here is what I found out.


The background is blue to signify the blue sea and sky, which are prominent in the views here. The four stars are apparently in the shape of the Southern Cross, because that constellation is over the South Pacific. And, of course, the Union Jack in the corner is because NZ was a British colony. That all seems nice and simple to me, and it makes for a pretty flag.

3 comments:

  1. I understand that there at least used to be some argument in NZ, that the flag looks too much like Australia's and they should get a new one. You might ask around and see if that is still a consideration? Also I saw NZ flags at the America's Cup that had a RED background. Perhaps because wearing red showed team spirit? (Fans were supposed to wear red socks). I do think both the Aussie and NZ flags are beautiful and easy to recognize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, I think you know more about NZ than I do! Thanks for all your thoughtful and knowledgeable comments! I haven't heard anything about discontent with the flag, but I will ask around.

    As for the red flag, it's called the NZ Red Ensign and it is the flag for merchant vessels. I don't know if that's why it was there, or if it's just because it was red. It is also used by Maoris sometimes, because Maoris traditionally like red flags. At least, that is what I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Perhaps that is why the red socks--the red flag is the flag of sailors then, and so of course the flag to fly for yacht races. Thanks! There is a maritime British Union flag too, and my auntie told me it is that one which is properly called the Union Jack. It has the Union flag in the corner but I forget what the rest is like--white, perhaps? I should go look it up.

    Another question for you-- what was the native tongue of the people who first wrote Maori down in Latin letters--were they British? Because that 'f' vs 'wh' thing does not strike me as a British spelling choice, but Maori doesn't 'look' French like Vietnamese, either.

    ReplyDelete