Saturday, September 7, 2013

First Blog Post Ever: Part 2

Okay, with my previous disclaimer in mind, here goes blogging!

After almost 5 months of job interviews, research, bureaucratic shifting, Visa applications, medical examinations, certified copies, and lots of waiting, we are flying to Whanganui, New Zealand, on Monday!!!!! We are thrilled that it is finally official and finally here! After so long of it being uncertain and in the indefinite future, we are having a hard time understanding that it is for sure and imminent. But it is, and it's wonderful.

Here is a map of where Whanganui is in NZ. Don't be confused by the position of the arrow - we will not be living in the middle of the water.
Whanganui (also spelled Wanganui, but I think that the Maori way to spell it is with the 'h', so I'm using that one) is a city of about 43,000 people. It is on the coast, and the Whanganui River runs through the middle of it. I have read that there is a higher than average Maori population there, which I am hoping means that I will get to work with Maori children and families (once I find a job). There are not a lot of other cities around Whanganui, because there are tons of National Parks around it. We want to do a lot of hiking and exploring!

We don't have a house/apartment yet, but J's job is paying for us to stay in a hotel until we find one. That will mostly be my job, since J is starting work just a few days after we get there. I hope we find somewhere reasonably nice, with an extra room for when people come to visit (hint, hint).

No comments:

Post a Comment