Tuesday, September 17, 2013

J's Job

I realized today that I have written nothing about J’s job, which is a bit of a scandal, given that it is what got us here. I apologize, and will do better. I can't write anything too specific, as it is important to J to maintain strict confidentiality and professionalism, which is a good idea.

J is working for the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI), and his official job title is Veterinary Technical Supervisor. I, for one, don’t see how that is in any way descriptive of his actual job, since he will be replacing people at meat processing plants when they are sick or on vacation. Oh well.

Although J didn’t start until yesterday (Monday), we have been working with the business manager since we got here, and he has been a huge help. On Sunday, we met a nice man who started yesterday with J, and another nice man who has been working in the same position as J for about three years. He said that it's a good job, and that the people are relaxed and nice to work with, which is nice to hear.

J first day of training started Monday morning, promptly at 8:30-ish. We found that a bit funny, but it seems that that’s what time work starts every day here.  Something to get used to (and we're not complaining).

His first two days have just been about learning the ropes, and it's been a lot of information to take in, but I think that's true of any new job. Overall, he's got a lot to learn and figure out, but it seems like it will be in a relaxed work environment with nice people, so what more could you want?

2 comments:

  1. I so enjoy reading your posts! It is like I am sitting with you as you talk about your and Jay's experiences! I look so forward to reading them everyday! Thank you. I also read some of them to gma since she does not have internet until Friday! I know Karen also reads them. Love you both and looking forward to tomorrow's post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I am so glad that this blog is helpful to you, Grandma Lois, and Karen. I am happy that you can all be aware of what is going on. I will do my best to keep posting every day. We love you, too.

    ReplyDelete