Saturday, September 21, 2013

Kiwi Foods

When we decided to move to NZ, I had forgotten one of the best benefits – TIM TAMS!! Several people I’ve met over the years who were from Australia or NZ had told me about Tim Tams, and when I went to Australia with Sorenne and Amy a few summers ago, I finally got to try them. And they are as good as I imagined! They are delicious chocolate with crispy wafer-ish stuff in the middle, which is good enough by itself, but it gets better! If you bite off both ends, you can used them as straws to suck up milk, which makes the milk kind of chocolatey, and makes the inside of the Tim Tam melt-in-your-mouth amazing!! Yay for living in a country with Tim Tams!! 


One of the first good surprises after we got here were Jan’s Dagwood sandwiches at Uptown Café. They have everything on them – lettuce, tomato, chicken, hard boiled eggs, beets, grated cheese, and something like mayo. All on multigrain bread. Surprisingly delicious. We’ve gotten them several times this week, and enjoy them every time.

As for restaurants, there are lots of Fish and Chips places, which reminds me of England, but there are also many kebab places, a variety of Asian restaurants, and some American chains. There are Pizza Huts, Subways, McDonald’s and Burger Kings, and even a Pita Pit.


Groceries are definitely more expensive here, but I love how much food in the grocery store comes from right here in NZ. Almost the entire fruit/vegetable section is grown here or in Australia, and even a lot of the cereal and meat comes from here. I feel good about spending money that I know will stay here in NZ, and I like the smaller carbon footprint, knowing that it didn’t have to go far to get to the store.

1 comment:

  1. A lot like how Hawaii was like. We could walk outside and pick fresh bananas, guava and other fruits in our own back yard. The fruits taste so much better when they are fresh! Thinking of you both! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete