Sunday, September 29, 2013

Manawatu Gorge Pictures

Despite the rain, we decided to explore Manawatu Gorge today. It's about an hour away from Whanganui, near Palmerston North, where the Becker-Harris family lived. We don't have a car yet, but J's colleague Lionel very kindly invited us to come along with him, which was great. He is pleasant company, and we wouldn't have been able to go without him. 


This is the view driving into the gorge.

On the outside top of the high edges of the gorge are a multitude of wind turbines. 

Across the gorge from the highway are the railroad tracks. Just as we were debating whether or not they were still in use, this little train came chugging along the tracks.

After driving through the gorge, we came back to the start, parked the car, and got out to walk. The rain that had been a mild distraction in the car was a bit of a problem once we were outside, but we decided to ignore it and get going on our hike.

This is right after we walked into the gorge, looking back out towards the entrance. I liked the plant up at the frond, because it made me think of Kansas wheat, juxtaposed onto a very lush, green, NZ scene.


We picked a trail up through the forest on one side of the gorge. It leads up to a scenic lookout. The following pictures are of our hike.









This is the lookout at the end of our trail. Definitely worth the hike!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Emma- It's Mary. I am thrilled with your blog. The way you share your thoughts and feelings is fantastic and helps me to feel connected with you. Keep up the good work. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. I'm sorry to be weird, but I actually know three Marys who are reading it, so could you let me know which one you are? :) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful. Reminds me a lot of Hawaii in the early 70's when I lived there. Sure is exciting reading your posts! Have J drop me a line when he can. I just want to hear from him. It makes me feel closer to you both when I hear from you! Talked with Dean today. He is heading to Minnesota. Love you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim! I can see how this would remind you of Hawaii, and I take this as a wonderful compliment, given how stunning Hawaii is. It's nice that you're spending time with Dad as well. J is very busy with work, but I'll let him know that you'd appreciate a call.

      Delete
  3. Kathy Lee here (in case you know many Kathy's :-))

    Those pictures are, excuse the pun, gorgeous. It looks just beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I agree - I can't believe how lovely it is.

      Delete