Monday, September 16, 2013

Don't Believe Everything You Read - Weather Edition

After only five days in Whanganui, we have already seen weather that disproved the climate charts that we read before coming. According to said charts, the coldest it ever gets in Whanganui is 7C (45F) in winter. That sounded lovely to me, but is apparently not true. It is currently spring, and last night, the low was 4C (39F). Now that was in the middle of the night, and the high today is 16C (61F), which is lovely weather, especially with the bright sunlight. So no complaints on the actual weather – only on the incorrect information. Hmm.

Another weather note: The sun is much more intense here, which we knew. But what I had forgotten since my time in Australia is the resulting temperature difference between sun and shade. I feel like every time I step out into the sun, I wish I was wearing a T-shirt, but as soon as I step into the shade, I want my coat. It’s unbelievable how stark and immediate the difference is.

All in all, I will just need to keep a jacket with me at all times, regardless of the forecast, because I do not like being cold. Ever.


Speaking of cold, I think that I will be much more comfortable with the temperature here soon. Given that it was 41C (106F) when we left Kansas, I think it’s reasonable that even 16C (61F) feels cold, especially to me, since I seem to have approximately zero internal body temperature regulation. If it’s chilly, I’m cold. Really cold. Anyway, I’m sure I will get used to it, but in the meantime, I am off to buy some leggings to go under my jeans and keep me warm. J

No comments:

Post a Comment