Sunday, September 22, 2013

Journey?

“You take a step, then another. That’s the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it’s a remaking of your own mind.”
                                                                          ~ Orson Scott Card, Ender in Exile


I came across this passage when I was reading yesterday, and was struck by it. I love the picture it paints of traveling being a personal experience of growth and change, rather than just a fun or exciting time. I believe that each time I travel, if I keep my eyes open, I come away with a slightly different way of looking at the world, or even a new lens through which to see myself. That is one of the things I love about going to new places – I am still myself at the end of the experience, but I am more than I was before, having gained new insight. Each time my mind is remade, it is more open and ready to take on the next experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment