Friday, February 21, 2014

Traditional Illness

Well, as many of you probably know, children are little germ-bags. I mean that in the most loving way, but they spread germs faster than anything else I know of. What this means, for those of us who work with them, is that; 1) we build up rather fantastic immune systems; and 2) we usually get sick within the first month of starting in a new classroom, with it's new and exciting strains of childhood illnesses. Well, week #3 of permanent work in NZ, and I am home, sick and miserable. I can't be surprised, given that I was thrown up on last week and had diarrhea spurt out of a nappy (diaper) onto me this week, but I was crossing my fingers that the endless sanitary measures I'd taken would be enough. I guess, with enough exposure, it's bound to happen, no matter how sanitary you are. Fortunately, it hit me on a Thursday afternoon, so I only missed half of yesterday and all of today, and I'm certain that I will be fine by Monday.

The worst part, and the part that I can't blame on my germy children, is that I can't sleep! It started on Tuesday night, (remember, I was so tired from work, swimming, and balcony tennis), and has continued through the week. It takes me hours to fall asleep, and then I wake up about every half hour, and it takes me a good 15 minutes to get back to sleep each time, leaving, as you can imagine, not much time for sleep, and even less for actual rest. So I have just gotten more and more tired, until I guess my body, even with it's lovely ECE-bolstered immune system, just could not keep up. Yuck. I did have a rather heavenly nap late this morning, which was the first good sleep I'd gotten in ages, and I am optimistic for tonight.

In the meantime, I can't say that a day of reading was completely unwelcome, although I wish my body hadn't been so miserable as to pry my mind's attention away from the book from time to time. I have dealt with my usual guilt about not being at work on a school day pretty well, and my boss and coworkers have been very kind and supportive, which feels good.

I know that this is a very boring post, but it's all I'm up for today. Anyway, my life is quite lovely, but also very quiet and non-blogworthy lately, so it's just as well.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling better and better by the hour! MD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary. Thanks very much! I am feeling all better today, after two nights of good sleep, and I am all ready to go back to work tomorrow - I'm reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom!!

      Delete