Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Crazy Table Tennis

Everything continues to go well here. My job is engaging and challenging, and I feel good about my contribution there and the relationships I'm building. J is working evening shifts this week, so I haven't seen him (awake) since Sunday, and won't until Saturday, but we're coping. Today is usually my day off, but they needed help in the infant/toddler room, so I spent most of the day there, which was an interesting change of pace. It was the hottest day yet this summer, I believe, at 28C (82F). Although that doesn't sound that impressive, with the dripping humidity, it is a force to be reckoned with. We are reckoning with it through a lot of really wonderful water play, including sprinklers.

After work, Anna and I had a French excursion to second-hand stores, and had a lovely time speaking French and trying on clothes, which we didn't buy. It's nice to shop with someone who loves the process, but doesn't feel the need to buy anything - just like me.

Then, we went back and met up with Ollie, and the three of us went swimming in their little pool in the garden. Though it was a hot day, the water was mostly in the shade, and rather cold, so I still got a bit chilly.

After swimming, we played table tennis (I call it ping pong, but everyone here thinks that's funny). We played on the kitchen table, with a net strapped to it, which was fun. But then when the ball accidentally rolled out the door and off the balcony, a new game was born: balcony tennis.

I started out down at the bottom, and then we switched places a couple times. The goal was to hit the ball back and forth as many times as possible without it touching anything other than our paddles more than once in between hits. 

With many acrobatics and impressive leaps from both on and off the balcony, we got up to 15 consecutive hits. It was very hot and sweaty, but also so fun and hilarious!

Also, notice the beautiful house next door. That is their landlord's house, and it is stunning!

After a day of caring for babies outside in the heat, followed by shopping, swimming, and balcony tennis, I am totally exhausted, and am going to bed very early tonight!

2 comments:

  1. That is exactly what I was seeing - the house next door. Looks very interesting. You will have to show it to me next time I am in Wanganui.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a little way out of town, but so neat. We can drive by sometime, for sure.

      Delete