Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Rangitikei

My friend Lionel and I have noticed that a lot of things in NZ are named Rangitikei. For example, we live off Rangitikei Street, and there is one in most cities we've visited. There is also a Rangitikei district, as well as a Rangitikei River. Anyway, I thought I would look it up, and see why it is such a common name.

"Rangi" means "sky/heaven" in Māori, while tikei means "extend/stretch out". The land of the Rangitikei district is deeply important to the Māori, as explained here:

"Māori maintain a deeply spiritual connection with the land of the Rangitikei district, which is enriched by the Māori culture of four distinct tribal collectives. The distant headwaters and hinterlands of the Rangitikei River form the homelands of the confederated hapu of Mokai Patea, in pre-European times the lower Rangitikei River carried canoe traffic, and an important Māori walking track followed the river valley. Marae (meeting places) throughout the region remain the cultural focal points for continuation of Māori customs and language."
http://rangitikei.com/legacy

I believe that many streets/places in NZ are named Rangitikei because it is such an important part of Māori heritage, especially because it is a central place for four tribes. There has been conflict between tribes throughout their history, so it is wonderful for a place, or a word, to have positive associations for multiple tribes.

I am still working on learning Māori. I am finding less time to watch the online videos now that I am working, but I am learning a lot more child-related words and songs at work, so that's lovely. I will post an update on what I am learning soon.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing the research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem. I found it quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard Harris
    Neat photos! I hadn't checked your blog for awhile. Wish we had done the whole Manawatu Gorge hike. We're all excited about Natalie and Quinn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard. Sorry, I somehow missed this comment. I have been so busy with Dad here. You'll have to come again and do the Manawatu Gorge walk! I am so excited about Natalie and Quinn as well!

      Delete