Monday, February 3, 2014

First Day of Work

Well, after an entirely sleepless night of anticipation, followed by an unexpectedly grumping time getting ready to go, I started my new job!! Just as I expected, my first day was a bit overwhelming, chock full of names I didn't remember and rules I didn't know, and absolutely wonderful. I had a lovely time with the children, was warmly greeted by parents and teachers, and just enjoyed being where I am meant to be: in an early childhood classroom. Yay!

Fortunately, I had prepared for what I knew would be a sleepless night by getting a very good night's sleep the night before. I never sleep before big things, like trips, first days, performances, etc. However, I usually worry a lot about missing sleep, and I think that it is the stress, rather than the lack of sleep, that usually gets to me. This time, however, I firmly reminded myself that missing one night of sleep is not the end of the world, and that I would sleep fine the next night. I was, for maybe the first time ever, able to lay in bed for 8 1/2 hours, not sleeping, and just relax in the knowledge that I was warm and comfortable, and that everything would be fine.

Unfortunately, I had a rather large blunder when my alarm went off (when I was lying awake in bed) and I actually had to get up and tackle the day, but that is never a pleasant part of my routine anyway. I was over it by the time I got to work, and I just launched into my day.

At Noah's Ark, like at most centres I've visited in Wanganui, the children can be inside or outside all day, and can move between the two as they choose. As for teachers, there is a rotating schedule, with one teacher staying inside, one teacher staying outside, one teacher moving between the two as needed, as well as doing toileting routines with the children as needed. I will fulfill each of those roles at least one day a week. I also get to do two mat (group) times every Wednesday. The teachers were very excited to find out that I know lots of children's songs, especially since I am bound to know different ones than they do. They said that the children there adore songs (which most kids that age do), so they want me to teach them all a song a week, at one of my mat times! I love being the song person!

We had a staff meeting after work, which was nice to have right after my first day, because I got to ask all of my questions, as well as just get an even better sense of how things work. The children are particularly interested in water play, story telling/writing, and airplanes right now, so those will be very fun themes to build on throughout the month of February.

I don't work on Tuesdays, and this week Thursday is a public holiday (Waitangi Day, which I will write more about later), so I am only working Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I like to think that the universe planned it that way to ease me into things. That being said, I am quite excited after my first day, and can't wait to go back again on Wednesday!

I love having a job!

8 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you! What a thrill to have working with the children finally. I love the concept of child centered. I wish you a wonderful week of learning and teaching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim. Thanks for the support. It is truly wonderful to be back in the classroom.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad (and not surprised ) that your day with children went well.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously - lying awake for 8.5 hours. I would have gone mad and self medicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually, I would have been traumatized, which is why I am quite proud of myself for having stayed calm. :)

      Delete
  4. Your sense of calm is one of the many attributes that contribute to you being such a good teacher. You establish a positive and low stress climate that supports children as they face challenges they set for themselves. Have you found that teachers in NZ tend to be more easy going in their approach than teachers in other countries? Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary. Thank you for having so much faith in my teaching - it helps me keep my confidence and sense of calm.

      Yes, I have absolutely found teachers here to be more easy going. Classrooms are less structured, children and less restricted, and teachers really go with the flow. Of course, I think there are strengths and weaknesses of this, but I love the low stress level, and I think it is healthy for all of us.

      Delete