Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Early Childhood Article

When I moved to Wellington, one of the early childhood centres I visited was Childspace, which is well known throughout NZ and around the world for its high quality centres and inspiring environments. They also publish The Space magazine, which is distributed all over the world and is a wonderful resource for early childhood educators.

When I visited, I asked about the magazine and how it worked. I have always enjoyed writing, and I thought it could be a great way to get involved in their amazing work, so I asked if they'd be interested in me writing something about attachment. They said yes, and so I did, and now it's been published, which is exciting.

Notice my name on the cover? I was pretty tickled by that, actually.

As some of you will know, I focused on attachment theory, and specifically on Reactive Attachment Disorder during my undergraduate and master's studies. Knowing this, some of my colleagues expressed disappointment that my article didn't go into the inner workings or deeper underpinnings of attachment theory. Please don't expect this - that is not what this particular article is for. It is meant to be a simple but important reminder for early childhood teachers of the basic things that need to be done each day so that we are supporting, rather than undermining, secure attachment. It is all based in what we know from attachment theory, but it is not a theoretical article by any means. 

Sorry the file is so ridiculously huge and doesn't fit into the allocated area. That's the only way I could get it big enough for you to be able to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment