Sunday, August 16, 2015

Celebration of Holly

For the last few weeks, J and I have been grieving the loss of our amazing dog Holly. I feel, now, that I am ready to post this celebration of her life, so I am sharing some pictures of how wonderful she was, and how happy we were with her as a part of our little family.

I do not want to dwell on her death, but rather to be thankful for her life. We knew when we adopted her that she had a severe heart defect, and that her time with us was limited, so we tried to make it the best time we could. Holly poured more love and happiness into every moment of her life than most creatures ever come up with, so she had a wonderful life.

Holly and I loved reading together. Have you ever seen a happier face?

I loved it when she tucked her paws up like that. So adorable!!

This was one of the first times I took her to the beach. She chased the foam on top of the waves and ate it, making herself quite sick. It took a few experiences of that before she decided to stop, but she did get there.

One the way home from the beach after running around with Dad. Tired and happy.

Because of her heart condition, Holly couldn't be spayed, and so she went into heat and had to wear a diaper/nappy so she wouldn't get blood on the carpet. It was hilariously cute.

Look how adorable she was all curled up!

Bike trailer rides to the beach were her favourite thing (along with every other thing that ever happened to her). She squealed and whined with excitement the whole way there!

Holly was the master of cuddles. She is the only dog I've ever met who actually wrapped her paws around you to give you a cuddle.

Also, she took fetch very seriously.

Waiting for me to throw her the ball was also her favourite thing.

More reading together. Also her favourite thing.

Look how beautiful she was! That is the face of pure, unlimited love.

She was so patient with us. I believe this look translates to, "I have never wanted anything ever as badly as I want to eat these treats, but I love you so much that I'm waiting. Can I eat them now?"

Still don't understand why this happened, but this is Holly using a carved stone bowl (with rather sharp sides, to be clear) as a pillow. She was a nut!

Happy cuddles!!!

J sent me this picture when I was away for a week with Kirsten. I think maybe Holly missed me.

This is Holly gazing adoringly at the reflection from my coaster on the ceiling. Shadows and flashes of light occupied many hours of her life.

Patty took this picture of Holly having a rest at the beach. She was always happiest there, I think.

I wish that all of you could have known Holly. She was a constant positive presence in J's and my life, and gave us so many happy memories. She was the incarnation of love and happiness, and it is a pretty special thing to have that in your life. We are so thankful.

7 comments:

  1. Dean told me of your loss just last week. You and she were mutually blessed in your love for each other. You gave her heaven. Hold tight to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to read about your loss, Emma, but I am proud of you for taking her in and loving her through all of her health problems. What a great way to celebrate her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

    Author unknown...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lionel, that is so sweet. Thank you! Made me cry, but in a good way. :)

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry about Holly as she was also my gragrand doggie. I tear up when I hear about her..Love you!

    ReplyDelete