Tuesday, July 8, 2014

How to Speak New Zillund

Well, J and I just got back from a wonderful holiday in Rotorua, and I am very excited to share all of the wonderful pictures we took with you. Unfortunately, my SD card reader just broke as I was in the process of uploading them. I didn't know something like an SD card reader could just stop working, but it did. Anyway, I'll get the problem fixed soon, but in the meantime, no pictures.

Fortunately, the mother of one of the children I taught in Whanganui gave me this picture. We have had some lovely conversations about the differences between Kiwi English and American English, which I always enjoy. She gave this to me because she thought I would get a kick out of it, and I'm passing it along to you for the same reason.

Most of the jokes are centered around the fact that Kiwis say their 'i's as 'u's, but it's still very funny. Sorry it doesn't quite fit neatly into the blog page, but I wanted it big enough for you to read it.


While I'm at it, I thought I'd add a few more Kiwi-isms that I've managed to forget in my other lists.

~ Chock-a-block (Extremely Full) - Actually more commonly shorted to "Chocka." Eg. "Sorry it took me so long at the bank, but it was chocka."

~ Pack a Wobbly (Throw a Fit) - Eg. "No, she's not hurt, she's just packing a wobbly."

~ Grizzle (Whine/Fuss - only for a child) - Eg. "She grizzled a bit on the train, but nothing too bad."

~ Whinge (Whine) - Rhymes with hinge. Eg. "Sometimes you just have to have a good whinge."

~ Bach (Small holiday house) - Pronounced batch. Eg. "They have a bach by the sea, so that's where they go every year."

~ Chemist (Pharmacist) - Eg. "No, you can't get that at the supermarket, you'll have to go to a chemist."

I promise to get those pictures uploaded soon, and I hope you enjoyed these in the meantime.

2 comments:

  1. I love the blocks! Each area has their own "ism's"! I am looking forward to seeing your pictures! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kim, I think the blocks are really cool, too, especially given my profession. And they did make me laugh. Love you, too.

      Delete