Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Keeping Busy

I have been continuing my efforts to keep busy and put energy into things that I find interesting or meaningful, so that I can feel productive. I am not sure why I have such a drive to always be accomplishing something, but I do, and so I work with that.

So far this week, I have visited six kindergartens, so that if/when I get called in to teach at them, I will be at least a bit of a familiar face, and have a sense of what to expect. I have two more to visit, and will go to them tomorrow. I have enjoyed my time at each one, and have been amazed at how kindly and warmly they have welcomed me. The teachers are happy to take time to talk with me, and seem genuine in saying that they hope to see me soon. I am hoping and praying that I will get more opportunities to relieve soon.

I have also done some Christmas shopping, which is a mixed bag for me. I love finding things that I think will make people happy, but I also struggle with my desire not to consume more and more things, and with the little voice in my head that is always saying, "But they don't need it!" I do know that Christmas presents are not about getting people something they need, but that voice has trouble being heard above the others. Sometimes it is very difficult to be inside my head.

While I was walking around shopping today, I finally, (after passing it many times before), stopped and got a crêpe at the adorable little stand downtown.


I found it to be a wonderful multi-cultural experience that was oddly parallel to my own history. I, an American who used to live in France and Canada and now lives in NZ, went and got a French Crêpe from a NZ man. The crêpe had lemon and sugar on it, which is a combination that I have only seen in Canada (on Beavertail pastries). Anyway, it was multiculturally delicious, and I enjoyed munching on it as I browsed for Christmas gifts. :)

I am also working on the new pile of paperwork we are facing - this time to get resident visas of NZ. We weren't planning on doing it right away, but we found out that most of our paperwork and certifications that we had for our work visas (and for which we jumped through ever-so-many hoops), will expire in the next few months, and then we would have to do it all again when we applied for resident visas. No thanks. So we are doing that now, and I am remembering all the reasons that I hate paperwork. Oh well. On the bright side, I am getting better and better at it.

On another, wonderfully bright side, Holly is the best cuddler ever. She loves to snuggle up next to me in the living room (on the floor, of course - no dogs on the furniture), and she makes a happy, grumbling noise in her throat when she is particularly happy that I find utterly delightful. I am so happy, with all the time that I'm spending at home, that she is here with me, especially with J working into the evenings these days.

By the way, J continues to do well at work, and feels that he is settling in and getting comfortable with his role and responsibilities. He comes home from work tired, but not stressed or frustrated, and usually satisfied with his work that day, which is as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment