Sunday, February 25, 2018

Te Marama Mīharo (The Marvelous Moon)

I'm sure many of you knew about and/or saw the Super Moon a few weeks ago, but I found it so inspiring that I thought I'd share my experience. J told me about it and thought I would love to see it, but I was inclined to just go to sleep early because I was on the early shift at work and desperately needed sleep. However, it started being pretty amazing long before it got dark, and then I was sucked in. 

I'd recommend clicking on the pictures to make them bigger, to better see the details of the moon.

It was a fairly cloudy day, and I wasn't sure we'd even be able to see it, but it was so bright that it shone right through the clouds, even when the sky was still light.

As it got darker, I was thankful that there were plenty of clouds, because they actually added to the majesty of the moon as it lit them up and seemed to dodge in and out of them. They were blowing by quite quickly, so it made the scene dynamic in a way that a clear sky could not have.


It is hard to capture in pictures, but it was hard to imagine that this spotlight of intensity was the moon at all. It was so bright! Also, I had never understood what people meant by "the Man in the Moon" until I came to NZ, where I can see him clearly every so often. But even here, I'd never seen him looking so amazing as he did that night.


I think my favourite views were actually when it was behind a thin layer of clouds, but still so clearly shining through.



Blogger continues not to like videos, so I've uploaded one to Facebook, and you can click here to watch it and see the beautiful movement of the clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment