Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Whanāu/Family Photos

After a lovely 3 1/2 weeks away, we are back in Wellington, tired and happy to be home. I'm finding it a bit challenging getting back into the swing of things at work, but it's only day three, and I'll get there. J is coming back to lots of new things to deal with, but is doing well.

For perhaps the first time ever, I remembered to take pictures of family while we were together. I was inspired/motivated by my Whānau (Family) Leaf at work, which needs updating. Each child and teacher has a leaf that goes on the huge tree that I painted, with pictures of their family on it, to celebrate and affirm our connections to our families. Mine, sadly, has outdated pictures of each of my family members separately, because on the rare occasions that we are together in person, I never think to take pictures. My lovely children sometimes have a hard time making a clear connection between the disparate pictures on my Whānau Leaf and an actual family, both because we're each alone and because many of us don't look very much alike at all. Anyway, the point is, this time I took pictures, and my new-and-improved Whānau Leaf is going to be amazing! 

Here's me and Dad at his birthday dinner.

Here, in all it's glory, is documentation of the first time in many, many years that all my siblings and siblings-in-law have been together in the same place.
For those of you who don't know, my mom is next to me and J, with my sister Patty in front of her. My brother Abe is in the middle back, next to my brother John, and his partner Alyssa is in front of him.

This is J and his dad. Notice the family resemblance.

Me and Patty.

Me and John and Alyssa.
(Side note: Alyssa made that awesome mirror-flower creation behind us. How cool!)

J, his mom, and is brother Dan.

Me and Abe.

Me and Mom.

Most of us were together for Thanksgiving, and everyone was a good sport about me insisting on pictures. It was so amazing to get to spend time with my family, and I think that I have learned to appreciate it more over the years I've been on the other side of the world. I'm already looking forward to next time! Luckily, Dad and his partner are coming to visit in just a few weeks, so I don't have to wait long!

No comments:

Post a Comment