Sunday, December 31, 2017

Serendipitous Meeting

While we were in the States, we flew to Alabama to visit J's family, and then back to the Manhattan Airport. When we arrived, we waited in the entryway for Dad to pick us up, and a lady asked if there were cabs that waited at the airport to take people into town. We weren't sure that there would be, and she seemed disappointed, so I offered her a ride ("generously" offering Dad's car and time, but I knew he wouldn't mind, as he doesn't stuff like this all the time, and had actually given someone else a ride just a few days before after he'd dropped us off at the airport). The lady's name was Kat, and we found out that she'd never been to Manhattan before, and she was actually going to a new restaurant, which she had helped to get started, and was in town for the launch.

The restaurant is called Cowboy Chicken, and I'm convinced that it will do very well in Manhattan. We had a lovely chat as we waited for Dad, and then in the car on the way into town. She asked us to come back for the grand opening the next day, and wanted to give us a free lunch to thank us for the ride.

This was my lunch, every bit of which was delicious. I got their signature wood fire rotisserie chicken, a baked sweet potato, and corn fritters, all of which were amazing. I'm actually a bit hungry as I'm writing this, and really wishing I could just head over to Cowboy Chicken again. The memory of the corn fritters especially is making my mouth water.

Kat took time out of her very busy day to come and sit with us, and we continued to be amazed by how much it felt like we were old friends catching up, rather than new acquaintances. So fantastic to meet people with whom you have an instant affinity.

We all had a wonderful time together. It was truly a beautiful moment, and I'm so glad random chance (and a generous father) brought us together.

P.S. If you live in Manhattan, I highly recommend trying Cowboy Chicken. It's out by Target and Panera, and well priced as well as delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment