Sunday, December 4, 2016

Wellington Waterfront

Before we moved here, when we'd just come to visit, the waterfront was my favourite place in Wellington, Even though I now know many other lovely things about this city, I still adore the fact that it's wrapped around a harbour, so it has a staggering amount of waterfront, just perfect for me to stroll along.

See? More coastline that you even know what to do with! The part of the waterfront where we've done lots of walking is on the west side of the harbour, mostly starting just south of the square-ish protrusion, and curving around and towards the pointy bit just to the east of that. There is, obviously, much more to explore, but we've got lots of time.

My friend Christophe and I have been meeting in the café at the city library every week to hang out and chat. Now that is has warmed up and we're having some beautiful sunny days, we've started meeting at the library (which is right on the coast) and then taking a walk along the waterfront, which is really nice. It can be nice in the winter as well, but the wind blowing off the water is intense and frigid, and that's hard to overlook. I'm looking forward to a summer of lovely afternoon walks!

I actually remembered to bring my camera on our walk last week, so I thought I'd share some pictures that would help you to see why I love walking around the harbour so much.

The waterfront is a popular place, and can be very busy. Fortunately, they've put in very wide pedestrian paths most of the way along, so you don't feel too crowded.


Christophe showed me the trails on Mount Victoria that he jogs every week. They were lovely to walk on, but he's got to be very committed to jog them, because some are intensely steep on the way up!

This is looking back the way we'd come, towards the middle of the central business district.

I love pictures framed by foliage.

It was quite a warm day, and we kept having to take our jackets off and then put them back on, because it was hot in the sun and cool in the shade.



It would be very cool to live up on that hill, with amazing views of the harbour. The only thing our own beautiful view lacks is a water feature.

This is my favourite picture I've taken in a while! I love the colour of the water, and I don't know what it is about rocks in water, but I find it stunning.

Christophe and I had a great time on our stroll. Sitting in the café to catch up is lovely, and I have no complaints about that, but on days when you can have the same interesting chat but also enjoy the natural world, that's just about perfect!

2 comments:

  1. Good article and nice pictures, glad to be mentioned on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! It's great you can spend time with a friend you can practice french with!

    ReplyDelete