Sunday, April 10, 2016

Kaimanawa Horses

This post official wins the "most delayed" award, as it is actually from December 2014. Oops. This lovely experience was part of my first wonderful visit to Kirsten's mansion just before Christmas that year. So many exciting things happened during that trip, this one got shuffled into the "finished" category without ever being written about. Oops.

Thanks to Wendy, a friend of Kirsten's, I got to ride a Kaimanawa Horse, which is very cool! 

Kaimanawa Horses are wild horses that live in the Kaimanawa mountain ranges on the North Island. They have been there since the late 1800s, when horses were brought to NZ by European settlers. Some escaped or were set free, and their descendants are there to this day. Unfortunately, the uncontrolled population grew until the unique biodiversity of the area was threatened by the huge herds of horses.
Eventually, an annual muster was set up, where the horses were rounded up and an appropriate number removed from the area. Although attempts are made to have the horses re-homed, many of them have had to be killed, which is sad. But many people, Wendy among them, adopt these horses and give them good homes.

If you'd like to read more about the Kaimanawa Horses, please go to these links.

It is a very daunting task to tame a wild horse, and I have so much respect for people who do it, especially those who do it with as much love and patience as Wendy!

This is Kahurangi, the new horse that Wendy had adopted. She wasn't ready to ride yet, as Wendy was still working on building a safe, trusting relationship with her. She described the hours she'd spent getting Kahurangi comfortable with her presence, and then with the sight, smell, touch, and finally wearing of a rope, and many other tiny steps that lead to a tame, loving horse.
And isn't that a wonderful quote on the door?

This is me when I first started riding Manny the Kaimanawa. Wendy adopted him and tamed him, and they have a touching connection. He is the most loving horse, and is completely devoted to Wendy in a beautiful way.

He happily followed Wendy around the paddock, but when she decided that we could go for a trot all by ourselves, he was not pleased at the idea of going away from her. What a sweetie!

Click here to see a video of me riding Manny. In addition to not being thrilled about distance from Wendy, Manny tended to be very relaxed and not inclined to go faster than necessary. I had to slowly coax him to the other side of the paddock from where Wendy was standing, and then she called and encouraged him, and his attempts at speed were clearly a labour of love. I could almost hear him saying, "Running is so much work, but I'll do it for you because I love you."

Also, as a non-Kaimanawa bonus, look at this adorable pony! Wendy worked her magic with him as well, and he is fetching that ball and bringing it back to her! 


P.S. Final Illness Update: I went back to work on Monday, and had to come back home almost immediately, as I was too achy, tired, and dizzy to cope with work. But after resting for a few more days, I went back again on Thursday, and it went much better. I was tired and a bit foggy, but I made it through, and Friday was even better, so I'm clearly getting healthy again! Yay! Thanks again for all your support.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful horses! The quote says it all! We have wild horses here in kansas that I did not know about until just lately. Mustangs that are being relocated from Montana. I think it's cool the pony can fetch! That would be fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete