Sunday, November 8, 2015

Weaving Harakeke


We are moving in less than six days, and there is a lot to do before then, but we are feeling much more on top of the situation now that we have a lovely little flat in Wellington. It is going to be a very busy week, but we'll be just fine.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share some pictures from a wonderful experience I had at kindergarten a few weeks ago. We had an Enviroschools Day, during which we had visitors come to learn about our Enviroschools practices at kindergarten.

One of the moms at kindergarten is very connected with the local iwi (tribe/extended family), and does lots of things at the local marae (sacred meeting place). One of her skills is weaving harakeke (flax), and she offered to teach the visitors (and teachers) how to make something out of harakeke. We were all very excited for this, and it was just as awesome as we anticipated.

This is an illustration of a harakeke plant. Our weaving teacher taught us that you never cut the Rito (child) part of the plant, because all the rest is there to protect the child, and so must you. You also leave the Awhi rito (parents - direct translation "care for child"), only cutting the Tūpuna (grandparents). You are also careful to cut them at a downward angle that discourages water from being able to flow into the base of the plant, which would make it rot. All of these things are to show respect for the harakeke, and to keep it growing healthily.

Our weaving teacher had cut harakeke for us, and died some bits blue so that we could have some pattern in the kono (eating bowls) that we made. 
You can also see some flowers that she made from harakeke. She has given me some of these flowers in the past, and they are stunning.

The whāriki (mat) we are all sitting on is also made out of harakeke.

This is the beginning of my kono. We used clothespins to hold the weaving at various stages, because your hands quickly get tired from holding it.

Our teacher was so patient and helpful, as all of us got stuck or confused at one stage or another.

Here is a later stage, as I made the second corner.


As my kono started taking shape, I got the hang of it a little bit better.

Here is a finished kono (eating vessel). Pretty cool, eh?

This experience was so much fun, and gave me such respect for the knowledge and ability involved in traditional tikanga Māori (culture)! I would love to spend more time learning to weave harakeke. That will have to be something I look into when we are settled in Wellington.

2 comments:

  1. Exciting times for you and J, Emms. I hope you two enjoy your new life in Wellington. I remember when you and I drove down there for the first time in my camper-van, and you very successfully navigated us to the hotel. It was a lovely week, and I thought Wellington was a lovely city - I am sure you and J will thrive there. Oh yeah, you need to edit your header: "We are now into our second year living in New Zealand, and we continue to love the beauty, kindness, culture, and adventure we find here. Please feel free to comment/discuss." Like me, you two are now into your third year here. Take care, all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lionel. I think we'll have a great time in Wellington, and I well remember you and I driving down together, and all of us having a great time together!

      Thanks for the reminder - I would have forgotten the header for ages. I have now updated it. :)

      Delete