Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Marae Visit Part 2: Mihimihi

After the karanga (call), the pōwhiri (welcome ceremony) continues with kōrero (speeches) and often a hongi (sharing of breath by touching noses). After the formal pōwhiri is complete, people often recite their mihimihi. Mihimihi are introductions, which list your important characteristics, including where you are from, who your tūpuna (ancestors) and iwi (tribe) are, your name, etc. Where you are from is described through listing your river, your sea, and your mountain. Please note that this makes more sense in NZ than in Kansas, given that here you can't be more than a few hours from all three of these things. I had to use the Colorado Rockies for my mountain, although that's a stretch. I actually left out the sea entirely, because I figured that it really wasn't reasonable, even if we're willing to stretch it, to say that I come from any sea. (By the way, Kiwis use sea and ocean interchangeably. I suppose that when you live on an island, the difference becomes moot).

Mihimihi are important in te ao Māori (the Māori world) because they help people make connections with each other and to learn a sense of their identity. Much more than in Western culture, your connection to the natural world and your whakapapa (family tree) makes up a large percentage of who you are.

This is my mihimihi, which I have recited several times on marae, as well as at various kindergarten functions. I have translated it into English here, but it is only ever said in Māori. Even many people who don't really speak Māori have done their mihimihi, because it is such a fundamental part of navigating in Māori society.

Tēnā koutou katoa.
Greetings everyone.
Ko Colorado Rockies ngā Maunga tapu.
The Colorado Rockies are my sacred mountains.
Heke iho ki te wai o Big Blue.
I come from the waters of the Big Blue.
Nō Kansas ahau.
I am from Kansas.
Ko George me Peggy Verschelden, Virgil me Marie Denner ōku kaumatua.
George and Peggy Verschelden and Vigril and Marie Denner are my grandparents.
Ko Dean Denner tōku matua.
Dean Denner is my father.
Ko Cia Verschelden tōku whaea.
Cia Verschelden is my mother.
Ko J Mercier tōku hoa rangatira.
J Mercier is my husband.
Ko Emma Mercier tōku ingoa.
My name is Emma Mercier.
Kei te kaiako ahau i te kūra o Puketapu Kindergarten.
I am a teacher at Puketapu Kindergarten.
Nō reira,
Therefore,
Tēnei au e tuku mihi mahana ki a koutou katoa.
This is my warm greeting to all of you.
Tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou, Mauri ora ki a tātou.
Greetings, greetings, well-being to you all.

Now, if I were Māori (or possibly other Kiwi), I would also include my marae (sacred place), my iwi (tribe), and my hapu (sub-tribe) in my mihimihi. I would also include my waka (canoe) if I knew it. Many iwi can trace their whakapapa (family tree) back to the waka on which their tūpuna (ancestors) came to NZ, and that is another important way to get to know someone and to make connections. Since I am American, I have none of these things, so my mihimihi is shorter than most.

The first time I recited this, it seemed plenty long enough, and I was pretty nervous that I would forget all of it, but it was also exciting to be orienting myself through this tikanga (practice). You'll notice that you get almost to the end before you even say your name. I have been told that this is because all those other ways to orient yourself around the land and your whakapapa (family tree) are more important than what you call yourself. Which makes sense, especially in a small place like NZ where you're likely to have connections with a fairly large percentage of the population.

Having now recited this enough times that it flows naturally off the tongue, I really love doing it, and feel empowered by my grounding in NZ each time I do so. It's a great feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment