Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Canadian Wedding in NZ

This weekend, our dear, dear friends Matt and Kathy got married. In Canada. We desperately wanted to be there with them, and thanks to the miracle of Skype, we pretty much were! Their Saturday afternoon wedding was early Sunday morning our time, so we rolled out of bed, got all fancied up (from the waist up) and plopped down to Skype into their beautiful wedding.

Here we are, looking suitably wedding-esque, I think. Now due to the glory of video chat, what you can't tell is that I still had on my pyjama bottoms, while J was wearing old jeans, and we were both sporting warm, fuzzy slippers. Yay!

We got to watch the beautiful bride walk down the aisle. What a dress, eh? Amazing! That's her son, Jake, who is also a friend of ours, although I don't remember him being so tall and grown-up!

See that lovely lady on the left holding an iPad? Well, it's hard to tell, but J and I are IN that iPad!! We could see and hear everything, and it was amazing! Kathy even gave us a little wave on her way down the aisle! We were so thrilled!
A huge, heartfelt thanks to Yvonne for being our technical expert and Skyping buddy. What a gift you gave us!

Signing the marriage certificate. What a beautiful couple. 
(If you look back at the picture of J and I at the top, you can see that this is the part where that picture was taken, because this is where they are in the little picture at the bottom.)

The radiant bride. This picture will always make me smile.

Matt and Kathy, we are so happy for you! Thanks for letting us be a part of your special day, and for being such wonderful people in our lives.

Also, I cannot expound on the wonders of Skype enough. I feel so lucky to live in a time when I can choose to move across the world from those I love, and while it is often difficult and occasionally heartbreaking, I do not have to sacrifice relationships the way I once would have. I am thankful for that every day, and most especially on this day.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, this, Emma. That is so amazing that you got to "attend" the wedding. I'm starting to think I should Skype in to Thanksgiving dinner this year and ask to be placed at the table in front of the turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy Lee McCaughey here! Thanks for this Emma. I was so thrilled that you and J were able to "attend" our wedding. It was such a wonderful day. Technology truly has made the world a smaller place, but it's still no substitute for face to face and we will make it down to New Zealand to visit you!! Thanks again for sharing in our day.

    ReplyDelete