Sunday, October 5, 2014

Did You Know That There's a Sport Called Netball?

I didn't know that there was a sport called netball until I had been in NZ for a few weeks, and one night at the hotel I was channel surfing (funny how non-TV watchers still find themselves channel surfing in the hotel) and came across a game. I was very confused, because it looked, to my American eyes, like a basketball game during which all of the players had simultaneously forgotten how to dribble. I watched for a few minutes, but quickly gave up, as I didn't understand what was going on.

Fortunately, the universe proclaimed that I would teach kindergarten with a lovely lady whose daughters play netball, and who would generously invite me to tag along to a game. Moreover, the universe thoughtfully made the day I went an exceptionally beautiful one for a winter sport, so I had a lovely time during my netball induction.

This was one of the games I watched.

Now, I feel that starting my description of netball with, "It's just like basketball, except..." is wrong for two reasons. Number one, there are a lot of "excepts," and number two, it seems rather unjust to netball, which really is its own unique sport. However, I am not interested in reinventing the wheel, and a knowledge of the rules of basketball will give you an excellent jumping off point, so here goes.

Netball is just like basketball, except...
... there is no dribbling. Once you have the ball, you have one planted pivot foot to move around. If you lift it up, you can balance on the other one, but can't put the first one down again.
... you have to get rid of the ball within 3 seconds (instead of 5 seconds).
... the zones of the court are binding - you must stay within your area or you will get a penalty.

The positions are:
GK - Goal Keep
GS - Goal Shooter
WA - Wing Attack
WD - Wing Defense
C - Centre
Each position can be in the area it's written in, as well as the one or two next to it, depending on the position.

Netball is just like basketball, except...
... the ball is smaller and lighter.
... the hoop is smaller.
... there is no backboard.

Notice how small and unhelpful these hoops are? I was shocked at how often they made it!

Netball is just like basketball, except...
... each basket is worth one point.
... if a penalty is called while you are shooting, you get to shoot again if you miss, but if you make it, you just get the point.
... blockers have to stand a full arms length away from the shooter, and have to hold their hands straight up, which looks quite a lot like not blocking to me. Therefore, speed does not seem to be as much of a factor in shooting - they take their time to make sure to get the shot off well. Once the ball has left the shooter's hands, the blockers can jump up and try to block. In my vague recollection of watching many basketball games years ago, I think that that is kind of the idea there as well, but this is much more strict. Penalties were called all the time for improper blocking, despite lots of distance between shooters and blockers and very little physical contact.
... it is a girls' sport. They play some volleyball here as well, but netball is the major sport for girls, and guys don't really play it.
... it is more successful (as far as I've seen) at actually being the non-contact sport that it is meant to be.


Also, the Silver Ferns are NZ's national netball team, who have done quite well for themselves, as far as I know. 

Looks like a cool bunch of women.

For more detailed explanations of the game, please go to  http://www.netball.org/images/documents/rules/ifnaofficialnetballrules2011_for_website.pdf  for the official netball rule book.



2 comments:

  1. They may have done "quite well for themselves", but recently went down 4-0 to the Australian Diamonds in the most recent test series. Not being parochial or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind. I still think they're pretty neat. Good for Australia, though. :)

      Delete