Sunday, September 28, 2014

Spring Walk in Pukekura Park

There is a beautiful place in New Plymouth called Pukekura Park. I'd say for every five people in Whanganui I told about us moving here, three would say, "Oh, you have to go to Pukekura Park in the summer!" They would then explain to me how the park is always beautiful, but in the summer there is a festival of lights, and the whole park is lit up and becomes a wonderland. It took me a while to realize that summer is also Christmas time here, so the light displays probably have something to do with that. I have wonderful memories of the Fête des Lumières (Festival of Lights) in Lyon, France, but I have a hard time picturing it without cold and snow creeping into the picture. Although I would not change my French memories at all, I do look forward to the beauty without the cold.

Anyway, it is not yet summer, and the park is not yet bejeweled for its annual celebration, but J and I went for an exploratory walk a few weeks ago anyway, and were not disappointed. Pukekura Park is rambling and happy, with a mixture of careful planning and natural growth that is both comfortable and impressive. I love that such a place exists right in the middle of the city, and that so many people are proud of it and go to enjoy it.

This red bridge is the iconic symbol of Pukekura Park.

Difficult to see in the picture is the shear size of the beautiful pink and white flowers on this, and many other, trees.


I'm not sure why, but this simple picture seems to me to be the most idyllic one I've ever taken. I don't remember being struck by that at the time that I took it, so it must be something about the photo itself that strikes me, but I find it calming and almost unreal in its peace and beauty.

J and I were amazed by the shear size of this tree. Only after a bit of looking did we notice that it has roots growing down from bits of it that are not anywhere near the ground. Interesting.

This arch is for New Plymouth's sister city in Japan, and is much like the thousands of arches that make up the mountainside temple of Inari that J and I toured and fell in love with when we were in Japan.

J and Holly, very proud to have reached the top of the small hill next to the lake. Happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment