Monday, September 22, 2014

NZ Book Recommendations

Despite my best efforts at maintaining my assumption that everyone in the world loves to read, I am repeatedly forced to admit that some people don't, and therefore have no interest in my book recommendations. Which I find quite upsetting. More upsetting, however, is the uncomfortable admission that even people who enjoy reading the occasional blog post might still have no inclination to pick up a delightful historical fiction, novel, or cultural study. Shocking.

The upside of all of these unpleasant concessions is that, as an unashamed and overt book lover, I can post recommendations all I want, under the assumption that you probably knew one was coming at some point when you started reading my blog. I also operate under the solid assumption that you are all capable of the basic critical thinking skills necessary to realize that you are welcome to disregard my recommendations entirely. So feel free. But recommendations you will receive. Also, please note that despite my voracious reading of every book I can get my hands on, I have graciously opted to only include those that have to do with NZ, thereby saving you from reading a fairly infinite list of "must-reads." You're welcome.

#1 - The Bone People, by Keri Hulme


This is an amazing book, but it is no walk in the park, so don't expect a light, Sunday afternoon read. It is written as a mix of poetry and prose, weaving in and out of speech, narration, and thought without much concern for whether the reader knows which strand is being woven at the moment. The imagery, however, is stunning, as is the author's ability to make you feel emotionally connected with what's happening even when you're not sure what that is. 
As for the plot, the story is about a part-Māori, part pākehā (European Kiwi) woman, a Māori man, and his adopted son of unknown origin (culturally and personally - he was found on the beach). Their personal and cultural struggles and discoveries are interconnected and set within the fascinating context of a rural town on the coast of the South Island. Māori culture, especially the personal meaning of cultural objects such as jade carvings, and the need to know who and where you come from, play a big part in the evolution of the characters.
The story is very dark and includes more pain and tragedy than I would usually tolerate in a work of fiction, but I find that the experience of this particular story is worth the effort of wading through the often unpleasant reality of human interactions.
This book is well known in NZ as a mainstay of Māori writing, which is why I read it, but I believe it to be a valuable book for its own sake as well.

#2 - Come on Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All, by Christina Thompson

The title of this book comes from one of the first interactions between Māori and Europeans. The story goes that after a few brusque encounters in which the lack of common language resulted in fearful interactions and hasty departures on both sides, somebody had the brilliant idea to bring a Pacific Islander from an already "friendly" (read "conquered") island to translate. The captain of that ship wrote down that the Māori paddled out in their waka (canoes) and yelled, "Come on shore and we will kill you all." Historians believe this translation to be fairly accurate. The "and eat you" part, however, seems to have been added (for flair, assumedly) at some point during the communication back to England through various letters and messengers. Those who have studied Māori culture at the time believe that asserting that they would kill all the invaders was protocol for a show of strength, but declaring that they would eat them would be considered rude, and so would not have been said, at least not during the initial challenge. 
Interested yet? Well, there is lots more where that came from in the book. 
This book tells two parallel stories:
     ~ Story #1 - A young American doctoral student visits NZ and falls in love with a Māori man.
     ~ Story #2 - The British Empire discovers a new land, full of beauty and dangerous people.
How are these parallel, you ask? Well, let me tell you. 
     ~ Parallel #1 - There is a rather awkward adjustment period when two cultures collide.
     ~ Parallel #2 - When faced with a different way of life, you may well learn a lot about your own.
     ~ Parallel #3 - Uncertainty or a lack of understanding sometimes feel a lot like fear.
     ~ Parallel #4 - If compromise is your goal, how do you find the middle ground? 
Fortunately for the author and for anyone who decides to read this book, said parallels are much more eloquently (and logically) stated within the book. Personally, I found the transitions from modern-day romance to historical escapades and back again masterfully done and very complementary. Also, it was neat to read a fellow American's take on things.

#3 - Ask that Mountain: The Story of Parihaka, by Dick Scott

The sense that I have gotten so far is that if you intend to live in Taranki and have any desire to understand Māori, you have to read this book. So I read it. I have to say, I expected it to be historical fiction, which I enjoy, and was fairly devastated to realize that it was pure history, which, despite years of distance from high school, has retained its place in my mind under the category of "classes I hate." Fortunately, I made the discovery that if high school history class had been about Māori nonviolent resistance to land confiscation, I might have loathed it considerably less. 
This book is about Te Whiti and Tohu, two Māori chiefs who lead an amazing nonviolent campaign against illegal "sales" of Māori land to the settlers. Parihaka, where they lived, is a 45-minute drive around Mount Taranaki from our house. I actually went there for the celebration of Puanga, the Māori New Year, but was late and missed the festivities. Anyway, the point is that it is very close to me, which makes it all the more interesting for me.
To make an attempt to summarize the many years of history and conflict in this book seems vaguely insulting, so please take into account that it is insufficient. Basically, the Europeans decided that any land they wanted should be theirs, and justified taking it from the Māori with reasons ranging from "they don't really use it anyway" to "we want it" to "they'll all be dead soon enough." Some Māori fought back with violence, and some joined the Europeans, who promised them bigger shares of land in exchange for loyalty. Te Whiti and Tohu, however, launched a campaign to maintain the mana (prestige/spiritual energy/pride) of their people by staying true to what they believed and by entirely avoiding violence. Throughout their various nonviolent protests, statements, and campaigns, the thing that stands out to me is their steadfast belief in the rights of their people, their ability to remain calm, and their scorn for the Europeans' willingness to bend the truth to their will.
The book is told through a mixture of narration and quotes from letters, laws, correspondences, etc., and is shockingly engaging and easy to read for a history book. Though never overtly condemning anyone, the author's often biting narration and clever juxtapositions clearly point out the difficulties facing the Māori in dealing with the Europeans' presumptuous mindset. I find Te Whiti to be an inspiring figure, although hard to imagine in real life. As I read more and became increasingly impressed by him, I came to the conclusion he and Gandhi would have been soul mates if they had met.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in historical examples of seeking justice through nonviolent means, as it is one of the best examples I have seen. 

#4 - Tikanga Māori: Living by Māori Values, by Hirini Moko Mead

This last book is likely to be the most useful of all to me, but I will have to say the least about it, because I have not yet read it. Perhaps it should not, therefore, be included in this list, but I am so confident that I will find it valuable that I am preemptively recommending it. Don't worry, though, if I read it and discover that it is not worth the time commitment, I will let you know. 
Tikanga means "cultural customs and practices," so how could that not be interesting? It covers things like ngā pōwhiri (welcome ceremonies), ngā mahi auaha (creativity and performance), te takoha (gift giving), etc. I am very excited to read it!

I realize that these books are very likely difficult to access on the opposite side of the world, but they are all available to order on amazon.com, in either print or digital form. Just so you know.



No comments:

Post a Comment