Friday, March 7, 2014

Dad is Here!

My wonderful daddy arrived at 11:00 last night, and I drove to pick him up in Wellington. For having just done 30 hours of traveling, he was surprisingly energetic, and we had a lovely time talking on the drive home (2.5 hours).

I am still working on fully accepting moving to New Plymouth, but I am already feeling much more positively about the whole thing, and have decided to simply not worry about it while Dad is here. Actually, I am going to take him up to New Plymouth for a day trip, and I think that that will be a positive way to explore the city.

He is staying for almost three weeks, and we are so excited to have him! We are going to do all kinds of fun stuff, including train rides, festivals, hikes, museums, canoeing, and who knows what else! J is taking some time off at the end of his stay, and I am taking days off here and there throughout his stay, and we'll just have to piece together the rest. But it has already been wonderful, and I am so thrilled for all the fun stuff that we are going to do together!

I don't know how much I will be posting while he is here, but I will make an effort to get pictures put up after our adventures. My camera broke today (of all days), but J and Dad are letting me use theirs, so I'll be fine. I have been meaning to replace my camera anyway, so it's on Dad's and my to-do list.

It has already been interesting seeing Dad's reaction to driving on the left side of the road, and I am eager to see what other things he will be surprised by, and to experience his unique reactions. It will be interesting to see what things we are already so used to that we think of as normal, but that will be new and different to him.


8 comments:

  1. Great to hear Dad/Dean arrived safely. Delighted you will have this time together - adventures plus. With every good wish, Jean (Krahn)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! We are having lots of adventures already, with more to come.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for family reunions on the other side of the planet! Looking forward to seeing what you all will do together. Love, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray indeed! We just posted some pictures, and have more plans for lots of fun this week.

      Delete
  3. Fun! Fun! Fun! How wonderful that your father is there....I hope you do find time to blog with pics. MD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! We just put up some pictures (belated, but better than nothing), and we will do our best to keep it up.

      Delete
  4. Great photos. Isn't it interesting what Kiwis consider "dry?" Sometime you will go on the Desert Road east of Mt. Ruapehu--that actually look somewhat like the US Southwest--only place in NZ that does, even remotely. Will you take you dad to Tongariro Park, Taupo/Rotorua thermal area? They aren't too far. Dick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dick,

      I actually had planned - with reservations and everything - to take Dad to Tongariro Mountain and hike The Crossing this weekend, but there is a tropical storm/cyclone coming through exactly when we were going to be hiking, so... no go.

      It would be very fun to go up to Rotorua or Taupo, but we are not even going to have enough time to do all the things I want to show him around here, so I think we'll hold off for his next visit. :)

      Delete