Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Gulf Harbour Trip Part 2

Well, my old computer is officially completely fried, but luckily for me, the repair person I took it to was able to get all my files off of it, and J is an expert deal-finder, so I now have a much nicer, newer laptop for all my digital needs. So as is well in the end.

I am happy to be able to post my recovered pictures from the rest of our trip to Gulf Harbour now.

Jenny made us this AMAZING banana cake with homemade chocolate frosting, and the strawberries we brought to share made it the perfect dessert.

On our last day, we wanted to leave for home at lunch time, so we wouldn't get back too late, but we took the morning to explore and take a few walks on the beach in Shakespear Regional Park.

This frame, complete with a stand in front of it to put your camera on, is such a lovely way to encourage people to enjoy the view, and to have some fun with their pictures.

Parts of the beach were entirely composed of shell fragments, which was so beautiful! Surprisingly, when I did take off my jandals (that is the Kiwi word for flip-flops), they were not sharp, but smooth. I read on a sign that Maori villages used to use shells as a security system, because they crunch so loudly when you walk on them that people would hear anyone sneaking in.

I know you're probably tired of pictures of beautiful beaches and blue water, but I can't get enough of them!

After a lovely lunch with Jenny, we said goodbye and headed south, for another 7 1/2 hours of stunning views. I took a cool video of a gorge that we went through on the way home, to show you the curvy roads and beautiful views, but Blogger will not upload it. I will try again another time, and post it then if I can.

We also passed this area, which is called The Three Sisters. I don't know why, nor do I know why there are lots of what look like tunnels going into the cliff faces. I am intrigued, and J and I promised ourselves that we would go back and investigate someday.

And... more beautiful NZ countryside, as we got closer to home.

All in all, a very short, but extremely satisfying trip. The best part, really, was meeting Jenny, and knowing that we have another great friend, even if she's a little further away. We will definitely be visiting her in Hamilton someday.

1 comment:

  1. “So as is well in the end.” – that is good to hear. It’s really not easy to deal with a problematic computer. It’s good that you know a person who can repair it for you, or at the very least, get all your documents from it. It would have been a shame to lose the files in your hard drive, especially if all your pictures in it are as beautiful as the picture below. It’s a total relief.

    Cordia

    ReplyDelete