Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Brisbane Part 3: Good times

I am very excited as I write this, because I've just bought tickets for another visit to Brisbane, so I can enjoy remembering the good times from last year while eagerly anticipating more in the near future. I feel very lucky.

This post is comprised of the pictures I took that didn't fit into the categories of the previous posts, and is my favourite by far. We loved being there with Amy, Doug, and Sorenne, and only wish we lived closer to each other so it could happen more often.

Sorenne and J have not seen each other since Sorenne was 2 1/2, but they instantly bonded over their shared love of Minecraft. While we were there, J managed to find a way for us to play together while we're in our different countries, so we've been doing that some as well since we've been home. And people say video games never bring people together. 

Amy and I went on a beautiful walk near Kangaroo Point, offering lovely views along the river. Brisbane is such a beautiful city!

We also found some very adorable Guinea pigs (although of course not nearly as cute as Kazul and Roxim) who actually live on the back of a boat, and just come to shore from time to time. This one was my favourite.

One night, we decided to have dinner at Eat Street Northshore, a container market.

It was very cool, with some lovely little shops and many different types of food in the containers.

There was this beautiful covered area in the middle with lovely hanging lights. I'm sure it would have become even more striking as it got dark, but I also like to go to bed early, so I'll never know.

Sorenne and I got very beautiful henna from the fastest henna artists I've ever met in my life. Also, they added glitter when it was still wet, making it more fun during that stage. What a good idea!

This is what it looked like the next day. It turned out quite well, and even lasted through Sorenne's swim day at school, so that's a good recommendation.

We went for a walk near the market after dinner and got to enjoy the sunset across the river and behind the cityscape. It was gorgeous.

We also found a pretty entertaining playground item - entertaining partially for the swinging potential and partially because Sorenne was determined to climb up and use it by herself, rather than letting J give her a boost. Hilarity ensued. 

Speaking of hilarity, Sorenne and I discovered a rather funny poster, which she immediately made into true laugh out loud material.

We didn't manage to get to Australia quite in time for American Thanksgiving, but we decided to stretch it and have one anyway. I contributed the green beans, and Doug did the rest, and it was all delicious!

This is a vast improvement over the lazy efforts J and I made a couple years ago to have a Thanksgiving. Thank goodness for friends who can help balance out your ineptitude.

We were also very lucky to get to go to art class with Sorenne and witness the final touches being put on her most recent amazing painting. 

She is a mind-blowing artist, and can create stunning sculptures and drawings as well as paintings. J and I got to do some painting as well, and were reminded that, thankfully, talent is not required for creativity to be enjoyable.

Thanks so much to Amy, Doug, and Sorenne for hosting us, and we can't wait to come again!

1 comment:

  1. We love having you here, Emma and J! Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete