Sunday, January 29, 2017

Old Saint Paul's Cathedral

When my cousin Katie came to Wellington, we went downtown and I showed her many of my favourite things about Wellington. In the afternoon, we had some extra time, because Zealandia closed earlier than I thought. As I was thinking about what else I'd like to show her, she said, "Isn't there a cathedral in Wellington? Saint Paul's or something?" I'd never heard of such a thing, but my handy friend Google had, and it was not too far away, so we walked over, having fun stopping at interesting places along the way.


Old Saint Paul's Cathedral is not far from the train station, and I've therefore been quite near it multiple times, but never known it was there!


This picture was in the small alcove that's been turned into a museum. I was amazed to see how it looks like it's all alone, whereas now it is in the middle of the city! Also, I was impressed to see how little it has change (judging by the outward appearance) since it was built in 1865-1866.

In 1960, a new Saint Paul's was built just a few blocks away, and this one was scheduled for demolition. Many Kiwis joined together and spoke up for their church, and eventually succeeded in preserving it. It is now considered a national heritage building, and is protected by Heritage New Zealand. It is a popular place for people to visit, as well as still being used as a church for weddings, christenings, and other celebrations. 


As soon as you walk into this church, you feel the peace and warmth the it exudes. It is beautiful, but also meaningful and full of positive energy, such that you're just content to be there.

The building itself is awe-inspiring, with these amazing gothic arches and the rich warmth of the wood. The only cathedrals I've been to before have been around western Europe, all of which (that I saw) are stone. It was amazing to see one in wood instead!

Sorry for the bad lighting, but isn't it gorgeous! We watched a video that was telling us about the three-circle cut-outs that you can see in the triangles of the arches, and which are a trademark of gothic architecture.

I particularly love the wood in this organ. Being raised by a finish carpenter, I have developed a love for the patterns in natural wood, and I love that they've just varnished it and let the wood grain show.

Katie and I were awed by the beauty of this embroidery. We learned that this is a Christmas flower. I started to think that it looked awfully summery for a Christmas flower, before remembering for the umpteenth time that week that Christmas is in summer here. (I don't know if that will ever sink in).

Old Saint Paul's also has some wonderful stained glass. I love the patterning in this window.

I am so appreciative that Katie had heard of Old Saint Paul's and that she wanted to visit, because otherwise I could have gone years more without hearing about it. It is such a special place, and I'm thrilled to know that it's here, and to have visited it. If you'd like to read more about Old Saint Paul's, click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment