Sunday, November 20, 2016

Natural Disaster Update and Botanic Gardens Pictures

You'd think that a severe earthquake and its many significant aftershocks, along with a tsunami warning, would be a quite sufficient serving of natural disasters for one week, but you'd be wrong. The tsunami threat passed, fortunately, but an intense storm moved in, pouring down so intensely that large areas of Wellington and the surrounding areas flooded. Most everything was closed on Monday, due to the need to asses earthquake damage, and then many places, including schools, that opened back up on Tuesday were promptly closed again due to flooding. Many people had to leave work early even if their jobs didn't close, because the roads were closing as the flood waters rose, and they needed to get home before they lost the ability to do so.

Fortunately for us, my work, although way further downhill than our house, is still up high enough not to have to deal with flooding, and since it is all uphill to our house from there, I had no problem getting to and from work. J's building was closed until Thursday, and by then the flooding was done. There are still people who haven't been able to return to their homes, either due to earthquake or flood damage. Notably, a tall building near parliament had a central structural beam shattered, and it is at high risk of collapsing onto neighbouring buildings, so everyone who lives or works nearby has to stay away. I am so thankful that we are lucky enough to continue to be largely unaffected.

In other news, I had parent-teacher conferences after work every day this week, a meeting after them on Thursday, and then a work event after them on Friday night. Everything went well, but it was a truly exhausting and emotionally draining week, even aside from dealing with natural disasters, which took their toll on everyone, whether we were directly affected or not.

In light of this, today's post will consist largely of the pictures from J's and my most recent stroll through the Botanic Gardens. You can admire them and appreciate them with little need for comment from me, which is perfect, as the commenting (read "thinking") areas of my brain are in need of rest.

Someone built a lovely little fort in the "fairy garden" section. I will have to take my children to visit it.

I always think of my dad, who love irises, when I pass this area.

Hard to tell, but these are actually different colours of poppies. I didn't even know they came in colours other than red.



I find trees with entirely horizontal branches fascinating.


New Zealand has some truly amazing vine arrangements going on.

The rose garden has yet to come into its full glory this spring, but I did love this yellow-peach blossom.

1 comment: