Thursday, February 18, 2016

Night Market Date

I have successfully done not one single blog-worthy thing this week, allowing me to finally post these pictures from way back in November or early December. Yay for me!

J and I went on a date to the Wellington Night Market. 

It starts at 5:00pm Saturday nights in the summer, with tents and trucks setting up along Cuba Street downtown, with foods from all over the world.

We wandered around, admiring all the amazing displays of cuisine and cooking techniques.

It was particularly interesting seeing the different Pacific Island cuisines, as they are not something we grew up with in the States.


Fried savoury dumplings are among my favourite foods in the world, so it was awesome to get to pick several different kinds and try them out.

J got a meatball sub, which I thought was fairly unadventurous, and you can see by his reaction how much he cared about "adventurousness." Plus, it was apparently stunningly delicious, so I won't argue.

I also got kumara (sweet potato) fries, which I was surprised to discover came with powdered sugar on the top. J, however, was not surprised, so perhaps this is a normal thing that I've simply never noticed.

As usual, J just couldn't possibly wait until after I took the picture to dig into his friend ice cream. 

One of the booths was selling local honey, from right here in Wellington. The "Bush" honey is actually from Zealandia, which is about 10 minutes from our house. How cool!

We also hung out for a bit in a lovely little used bookshop called Arty Bees. It is an inviting, quiet place just off Cuba Street, so it's nice to pop in once in a while.

I think that the Night Market is a fabulous idea. We ended up with a string of busy Saturday nights after this one, and so we didn't go again, but next year we'll try to go more often. Wandering down the street trying new foods is a beautiful experience.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to take time out to enjoy date night and all the adventure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was lovely. We're trying to make sure we take time for things like that.

      Delete