Friday, December 4, 2015

First Wellington Events

Not to sound too much like a broken record, but we still do not have Internet at our new flat. One would think, in our overwhelmingly technological world, that it would not take a month for us to have Internet, but in this case, one would be wrong. Oh well.

In the few weeks that we've lived in Wellington (which still does not feel real, by the way), we have mostly been focused on settling in, on J learning the ropes of his job, and on accomplishing all the little tasks that always accompany moving. However, we have taken time to do some fun things as well, and I thought I would share two of them with you.

We went to this adorable tea shop in Kilbirnie called The Little Teapot, which was running a special on GrabOne for "High Tea for Two" for $25. It was picture perfect and charming.

They even had this quaint playroom where they have birthday parties for children. I would love to have my birthday party there!

I was thrilled to note that they'd set out a pink cup and saucer for J, and a green set for me. It's like they knew us already.

Everything was adorable, from the fancy hats on the walls to the knitted, flowered tea cozies. (J was not pleased that they were knitted instead of crocheted, but I didn't mind).

As we were enjoying our tea, they brought us this beautiful bouquet of tiny treats, all of which were utterly delicious. J particularly liked the apple cinnamon mini-muffins, and I was delighted with the cucumber and mint sandwiches, which I'd only ever heard of in Oscar Wilde plays. I felt very classy to be eating them myself!

On the weekend, we went to the Go Green Expo at the TSB Arena on the waterfront. It was all about learning about products available to help you live in a more environmentally friendly way, as well as companies with environmentally friendly policies who you can choose to support.

I didn't bring my camera, and so took pictures on my phone. I never do this, and am not good at it, and only realized when I got home that one almost every single picture I did not wait until the picture had actually been taken to move on. This resulted in several extremely blurry pictures, and several pictures of a non-important object that just happened to be somewhat near what I was actually trying to take a picture of. Not my best moment. Just for fun, I have included the only two pictures that kind of give an idea of the event.

The guy on the left was teaching people about more efficient ways to set up compost bins and worm farms. J and I were actually tempted to buy a super-efficient worm farm, but it was out of our price range.

We tried some organic Lothlorien feijoa and apple wine, which was fantastic! We also tried some awesome (and healthy) smoothies!

The expo was quite fun, and we came away with some small but helpful items to support our continued efforts to make our environmental impact a more positive one. I also found it encouraging to see that there were many hundreds of people cycling through the expo while we were there, which was only a small percentage of the time it was open. The fact that thousands of people would come and participate in this event seems like a positive indication that people are learning and trying to make changes, which makes me happy. I think we're going to fit in quite well here.

No comments:

Post a Comment