Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Christmas Tree Number Three

At long last, on January 6th, I am posting my final Christmas post. Technically, since it's Epiphany today, it is still the Christmas season until midnight, so I'm still within a relatively sane level of belatedness.

Every year, Jonny has a Christmas tree decorating party, and invites everyone over to put up decorations, eat yummy food, and spend some time together before Christmas. Really, this should have been my first Christmas post, since it was at the beginning of December, but I somehow thought that I'd already written it, so it got a bit lost.

So... the table is beautifully presented with red and gold ornaments for the tree...

... and the tree is being assembled as we arrive. As we rather laboriously untwist the branches, Jonny admits that although the party is a fun time, the hidden message is that it is genuinely time-consuming to set up the tree, and he appreciates the help. We were glad to oblige!

As Jonny's dad Ernie starts to string the lights, and I'm untwisting branches near the top, somethings slips near the bottom of the tree and the whole thing starts to topple over. Luckily, I was in a perfect position to catch it, so it didn't fall too far. Less luckily, that meant I was in the natural position to become the tree-holder for the next 15-20 minutes as the rest of the party worked together to figure out how to get the tree to stay up (and to procure me champagne and candy canes). Not such a bad job for me, really.

In the end, the tree was stabilized, and we decorated it and chatted away.

Anna, Ernie, and Marie (Jonny's mom) were the only other guests who had arrived by this time, and since they were the other people coming who we have really gotten to know it, was lovely for it to just be the six of us for a while. So pleasant and relaxing. 

Tah dah! Sorry it's a bit blurry, but this is the only picture I got of the fully decorated tree. It is lovely, though.

I find it rather pleasantly ironic that I have no interest in the effort and inconvenience of having a Christmas tree in my house, and yet I have so enjoyed decorating no less than three Christmas trees this holiday season! 

Jonny, Ernie, and Marie invited us to spend Christmas day with their family again this year, which we did. It was a beautiful, sunny day of amazing food, great company, and fun games - a perfect way to spend Christmas. 

I forgot to take any pictures during the day, but I did take this one when we got home, since Mom requested a family Christmas picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment